Thursday, October 2, 2014

Cough and Cold Season: ALL NATURAL cough syrup!

Cough and Cold Season: ALL NATURAL, Homemade cough syrup!


As you all know...the cold and flu season has hit. And, it has hit a little earlier than normal. I know...because my oldest son brought a cold home from school two weeks ago and it has made it's rounds and finally landed on ME! Ugh...

BUT, unlike everyone else in my house, I have developed this terrible, deep, hacking cough with my cold. It has been keeping me (and my poor hubby) up at night. NOTHING has been able to work at keeping it at bay. I've tried every over the counter cough syrup that we can get our hands on, I recently had a hysterectomy and had some of my pain medication left over. Tried one of those just to see if that would help. Nope. (My husband is a pharmacist and even he has been stumped at what else we can try...)
Whoa!  I bet that WOULD get rid of a cough...by knocking you OUT!

So, what's a girl to do when she's up at 1 AM hacking and unable to sleep? ...get on the internet and search for homemade cough syrups! And, while I was hoping to find something with whiskey or the like in it (just kidding!!!) - I found several with ingredients I had readily available even at 1 AM. And, you know what?  IT WORKED!!! I slept last night, with an ever so slight tingle in my throat, but no cough!!!

The several recipes I found varied with the amounts of each ingredients, so I just went with what didn't taste absolutely appalling...so here's my recipe below!

All-Natural Cough Syrup
2 TBSP. Apple Cider Vinegar (Bragg's if you have it, if not, regular will work!)
2 TBSP. Raw honey (local if available)
1 TBSP. water
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. ground ginger

Mix in a little jar with a lid. Keep in the refrigerator for longer storage - just be sure to shake up before use as the ginger and cayenne will settle as it sits. 

One tablespoon worked for me. Dosing will vary by person.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Flabby Mom to Fit Mom. Powered by